So sorry for flooding you with two non-recipe posts in one day! I’ll be back with some food on Wednesday I promise!
In attempt to catch up after a manic August, I’m covering off my July and August income reports in two shorter-than-usual posts.
August has been a busy but brilliant month. I’ll give you a quick recap:
- Holidaying in Italy plus lots of days out with the kids – I really wanted to take advantage of the fact that I can work flexibly and give the kids a fun summer holiday. We’ve done shopping trips, swimming, the zoo, parks, picnics, Monster trucks, cinema, shows and festivals. On the few days when I really really needed to get some work done, the kids were more than happy to sit in front of the TV and not move. I think Chris and I wore them out sufficiently!!
- I won the Neff Cookaholic competition – and a kitchen full of Neff appliances! Check out my post on the live-cook off here.
- Our house extension work has started. Everywhere is a complete tip and Gracey’s bedroom has become a store for all of my photo props. She refused to move into her brothers’ room for a couple of months, so she’s living happily amongst piles and piles of kitchen stuff right now. I literally have to hunt under her bed with a torch – looking for plates and bowls.
- The latest Superfood Magazine came out, and I was over the moon to see my recipes on the front cover!
Ok, let’s get down to the numbers for August. I really hope the info in this post gives you some insight and ideas if you’re new to blogging and monetization. Also check out my How to Start a Food Blog post if you are thinking about giving this blogging thing a go too!
Note – there are some links in this post that are affiliate links – which means that if you click on them and then sign up to the service/product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course). If you do click through then thanks!
Income (fyi – this info is based on earning reports and invoices for work done in the month of August, it’s not based on money that has actually come in yet, so there may be some variations based on things like paypal fees or exchange rate fluctuations):
- Freelance writing: £1085.39 ($1442.92)
- MediaVine: £811.86 ($1079.29)
- Sponsored Work £200 ($265.88)
- Amazon Affiliate sales £16.37 ($21.76)
- FoodBloggerPro affiliate sales £46.50 ($61.82)
- Tailwind Affiliate £12.50 ($16.62)
- StudioPress Genesis Theme affiliate sales £0 ($0)
- How I earned $40k in my first year of blogging affiliate sales £0 ($0)
- Tasty Food Photography £0 ($0)
- The Food Photography book affiliate sales £0 ($0)
Total = £2172.62 ($2910.05)
Expenses (currently this includes regular payments for tools, membership fees and advertising but not inconsistent things like courses, trips and props):
Total = £157.07 ($208.81)
Net Profit = £2015.55 ($2701.24)
Let’s just say my prediction that August would my lowest performing month was a little off. It turned out to be my highest performing month ever. I’m scratching my head a little, since I was only posting sporadically and I didn’t spend as much time as usual promoting on social media. I’m not going to complain though!!. Here’s a screenshot from Google Analytics for August:
Here’s a breakdown of my traffic sources based on the number of sessions:
Here’s the info on the location of my readers:
What else has been happening in August? Well..
- I’ve had some issues with going over my limits on my hosting plan, so I’m about to move to a cloud-based solution. It’s a lot more expensive, but i’d much rather pay more to make KS as stable and fast as possible for my lovely readers. I hate websites that make you work to read them (please do let me know if you have any comments or feedback if you do have any issues with Kitchen Sanctuary).
- I’ve had a little bump in my number of email subscribers – which means I’ve moved to a more expensive package ($45 a month rather than $30). I love seeing you guys signing up to get my emails. If you’re one of my subscribers, then thank you so much. I really appreciate you guys!!
- I’m getting a new logo!!! I finally decided it was time to upgrade from my homemade version, so I’m going through some new designs at the moment. Hopefully I’ll get the new logo up in mid September, so I’ll talk a little more about the process then.
That’s all for reading the Blog Income and Traffic Report August 2016. I hope you’ve found this info helpful. Please let me know if there’s anything you want me to talk about in a future report. Just drop me a note in the comments 🙂